Thursday, July 9, 2009

MATT: Your cheatin' heart will tell on you

My good friend Jon Cole requested that I add some pictures. I am not so great with photos, but Courtney has some that we will be posting soon. In the meantime, I wanted to share one with you.

Last Friday, we were all celebrating Courtney's birthday at a Churrascaria just down the street (Courtney and I are both Texan and, therefore, ridiculous carnivores even by African standards). After a round of happy birthday by the wait staff, a group of musicians scurried to the front of the restaurant and began performing a number of east African hits. You can imagine how surprised washed over me as a more familiar tune filled the air ... only this was a new version of an old favorite. The lyrics began. "Your cheating heart ... will make you weep". The jazzy style in which they were playing the song as well as the mechanical British/African English voice singing the song nearly gave me a heart attack. I had to step in. You can guess what came next:





Hank would have been proud. Everyone in the restaurant stared in disgust as I gave my twangiest rendition of one of my all time favorites. Hakuna matata.

By the way a big thanks to Tom Serres for all of his help! If you don't know about Piryx, you've got to check it out. It's truly empowering non-profits and political organizations (on both sides of the aisle) in an astoundingly helpful way!

Hope you're all well. PV,

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment